A Tribute to Ms. Khairunnisha in My Life

A Tribute to Ms. Khairunnisha in My Life from ICT course
Abstract from Information Computer and Technology

Sunday 18 December 2011

Seventh Week on MS Excel 2010


Session 1...Excel Basics

Microsoft Excel is a popular application software for  stuffs like spreadsheet. With spreadsheet sharing, Microsoft Excel is the ideal way of sharing, managing and analyzing information.  The ribbon-like interface caused controversy when it was first introduced, but it's much easier to navigate for beginners, since you can now see all the options instead of having them hidden away in menus.

The current versions are 2010 for Microsoft Windows and 2011 for Mac OS X.

Cell Basics

Basic Cells allow you to insert, calculate, analyze and organize data.

A basic cell includes:
- Select cells, insert content and delete cells
- a pop-up menu by right click on the cell
- cut, copy and paste cells
- drag, drop and fill cells
- Format Cells option





 










Modifying Columns and Rows

This will allow you to:
- Change row height and column width
- Insert and delete rows and columns
- Merge cells and Wrap Text


Wrapping Text and Merging Cells

Go to home tab and locate the button named wrap text and select a cell with contents, click the button and wrap it.



For merging cells you can search for Merge & Center button in the same Home tab and click to apply the function on selected cells.



Formating Text
- Change font, Font size
- Use the bold, italic or 
  underline commands
- Adding border
- Change the font color
- Add fill color
- Change horizontal and 
  vertical alignment




You can find all these options in home tab.














Using Formula in Excel

I have written some numbers in a column (Col D) and then gone to Col G and to add and apply a Sum function (To calculate sum of the numbers) I wrote down "=SUM" and then selected all the numbers; then I pressed Enter button and it worked! It showed me the Sum of all the numbers I selected. 

similarly I used other formula like average (by writing =AVERAGE), count (by using =COUNT), maximum and minimum (by using MAX and MIN respectively). There are a lot of other formula to calculate in spreadsheet.




To do as same to the following table at first I typed with three columns. And then to find the overall average I used =AVERAGE formula. So what I did? I clicked R8:CD and then pressed the average formula and selected R4 to R6:CD contents. finally it gave me the overall average.

To imply the 2nd table I wrote a table of two rows and two columns. Then to get overall average I used the same formula but this time I clicked D11-D12: CC-CD.


Session 2...MS Excel 2010 Advanced Skill


Pivot Tables

It's a popular theme in MS Excel which allows you to show worksheets with summarizing and manipulated data. To access pivot table go to insert tab and press pivot table which is located at the left corner of the tab.






Below is an example of Pivot Table. It shows a list of Monthly orderly amount of five salesperson in a company. Fist I drew a list and clicked the pivot table button. It showed me an empty table at the beginning. As I clicked those option and dragged into different labels in order to make the pivot table, It showed the expected contents organized in the table.







No comments:

Post a Comment